Sunday, June 5, 2011

Magazines digitally? YES!!!

I embraced digital reading over a decade ago with my first Pocket PC. I had the PALM reader (now www.ereader.com) and read any and every book I could digitally. I loved being able to put 10, 20, 50 books on my device and take-off to parts near and far without the heavy weight of books in hand.

Fast-forward to today and the digital experience has gotten so much better. Now I mostly read on my iPad 2. I use the following readers:

  1. Kindle for iPad (also use the Windows version). Worst reader ever developed. It is amazing that Amazon, with all their money, can't invest in a decent reader that allows font changes, color selections, etc. Truly a non-ergonomic, badly conceived reader. And sadly, most of my books are on Kindle because of their selection and price.
  2. eReader from eReader.com. This is a great reader and I have hundreds of books purchased from them. But the problem is that they don't have a great selection and current books are usually not available for a while, if at all. Amazon, if you're reading this, look at how well they designed a reader and bow your heads in shame...
  3. Stanza (owned by Amazon). Now go figure, this is probably the best reader of all. Amazon owns it but doesn't make it Kindle compatible. Frustration noted. Why have the best reader and put all your books on the worst one? An enigma, for sure...
  4. Zinio for iPad (Windows too). Who? Zinio, that's who!!! Zinio is a magazine reader and e-commerce site. They have thousands of magazines and deliver a no-frills, scanned version of the actual magazine, ads and all. I don't particularly like the small fonts and convoluted interfaces of some of the "next generation magazines" out there. Zinio's approach is different. They allow you to use fingers gestures to expand, zoom, scroll, pan around a page. It's easy and it works beautifully! I haven't purchased a paper magazine in over a year; that's how much I enjoy Zinio!
 Here's a link to the Zinio site: http://www.zinio.com/

Here is a YouTube review by Larry Greenberg: Zinio video review


I don't think magazines ever looked this good! Let me know what you think. It runs on iPad, Windows and Macs.

No comments:

Post a Comment